View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 06:25 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Too much of a good thing?

I think in the US people sometimes recommend bleach which generally people on here find is far too strong, unnecessary and can leave reside or odour. Peroxide is different I think. It isn't supposed to smell as much or leave residue - but probably still needs rinsing well. Harmful if ingested but probably not an issue if rinsed well. The main thing is - it isn't necessary really. If there's been no disease and no hamster died in that cage of unknown causes then just soapy water and rinsing is fine for cage cleaning.

It there has been illness or disease then a small pet disinfectant like Johnsons or Beaphar will kill anything. Vinegar won't (some people think Vinegar is a disinfectant but it's not 100% - it will kill some bugs but not all).

It's our human instinct to want to clean everything thoroughly and have everything spanking clean. But for the hamster, it's better to have things done one at a time. And always have something smelling familiar with their scent on.

I think also some US sites talk about moving cage items around regularly to prevent boredom. I think most research shows hamsters prefer stability. And things to stay where they are. They can get bored yes, but can be perked up by adding a new toy (if it doesn't mean moving much to add it) or by adding a new treat stick eg. Or just by more out of cage time.

Anyway - I suspect he may be a bit skitty for a couple of weeks now, so after a full cage clean like that, it's usually a good idea to go back to the "new hamster" regime - ie leave them alone for 2 or 3 days without interaction - or possibly even a week or two. It can take two weeks for them to adjust, relax and feel at home again as it's like a whole new environment. It might take less time than that if the toys weren't cleaned and just in different places.

Let us know how he's getting on!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote