View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 04:46 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: How much is 20kg of fitch bedding in Litres?

I've been using Fitch for years. The 20kg bag is HUGE! It goes a very long way. I get the 10kg bags because that's the biggest bag I can store in the house (it needs to be kept indoors to avoid damp).

There are no "bad batches" of Fitch - it has been produced for many years. It is made by one manufacturer - Fitch Recycling - who sell it direct - and also via Amazon (but it still comes direct from the manufacturer when bought on Amazon).

It's made from recycled food grade paper. It has no dust whatsoever, which is why I like it. Once or twice in a period of 8 years, I have had a batch that is less white and more creamy coloured and the manufacturers say this depends what they have been recycling at the time. But that is rare and it's no different. It's great bedding.

If you want to buy in bulk then Fitch or hemp bedding are probably the way to go. Kaytee Clean and Cozy is also popular too but probably works out more expensive for the equivalent amount. I quite like that but I have had the odd batch of that, that was dusty. Fitch is just paper. Not cellulose or any other type of manufactured bedding.

It used to be the most popular bedding on here until Kaytee Clean and Cozy became available in the Uk.

I am not good in thinking in terms of litres - if you can give the dimensions of your cage I can give an idea as to how far the fitch will go. But for comparison, a 10kg bag fills a 100cm cage to the brim and only uses about a third to half the 10kg bag. I then find the bag lasts about 6 months (spot cleaning two 100cm cages). Works out quite cheap.

Having said all that - since I bought my last bale (not that long ago) it looks like their website has changed. They seem to be part of a bigger group now and sell a lot more than just pet bedding.

You want the version for "small critters". This is the bale I get

Fitch First - Fitch Paper 10kg Single Bale Bedding For Smaller Critters

I can't see the 20kg bale on their website any more.

I think a 10kg bag would fill the base of three 100cm cages. Yes occasionally you get the odd light blue piece - maybe 5 in a 10kg bag! You also get coloured Kaytee clean and cozy! Hamsters love it. It holds tunnels quite well and they supplement their nest with it as well.

For holding tunnels, mixing two or even three types of substrate works well - eg fitch mixed with aspen (although personally I don't like aspen). I sometimes mix it with Finacard (soft cardboard pieces).

Last edited by Pebbles82; 07-03-2022 at 05:01 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote