Thread: Abscess care?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 07:31 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Abscess care?

I understand your concerns - sometimes abscesses can come back - although it can depend on what kind of abscess it is and what the cause is. An abscess like a tooth abscess can often come back after antibiotic treatment because it's trapped in a bony area. Same with humans. As it's in a cheek pouch and your vet seems confident it's resolved then hopefully it won't come back. It is worrying though I know and they can become resistant to the antibiotics if having another course so soon with not long a break.

I think usually it's either lancing or antibiotics. Sometimes both but depends on the type and size perhaps.

All I'd say is - if you feel worried then consider having a second opinion with an exotic vet - although presumably there won't be much to see now if it's gone down.

It's good that your vet said you can start the antibiotics again if it comes back though. I think that would be fine. And if they didn't work there are other options (not many but there is one other antibiotic they can have at least I believe).

If it does come back I would think about going to someone else for a second opinion - is your current vet an exotic vet?

The vet may be considering balancing quality of life wiht procedure as well - lancing might need an anaesthetic - although usually they give you options on these matters.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote