View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 12:11 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Flummoxed by the pantry moth

I've done this already yesterday, when i saw the moth. I took everything out, put Rodney in a carrier and checked through the substrate. I chucked old, slightly smelly substrate out and spread the clean out on the floor. I vacuumed and wiped the cage before putting everything back in.

My thinking was that if there's one moth, there must be more but i couldn't find any. I kept the substrate lower than normally, without any toppings like dried herbs, flowers etc so i can keep an eye on it.

I used to dislike white substrate but can see now how practical it is. Far easier to spot anything that shouldn't be there. I'm checking through all seven cages, will stop sprinkling herbs etc and scatter feeding (half/half).

I never had the type of infestation you had first time round and only ever saw the odd pantry moths around the house.

In a way i'm glad now that i don't have huge cages. The Alaskas and Hamster Heavens are manageable and set up in a way that most things are attached to the bars so will lift off as one unit.

I would also like to know where they actually come from. Can't be hamster food because i freeze everything and can't be human food because i don't bake so have no flour, sugar etc in the house. Everything is in sealed glass jars anyway.

And where did it go when i took it out of the cage. Nothing flew away, nothing in the bucket and nothing in the cage.

There's one possibility though: i'm going mad or senile or see things that aren't there.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote