View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 10:01 PM  
lovehamsters01
Hamster Pup

Default Re: hamster nails keep growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Guessing you're based in the US or Canada by the Higgins Sunburst? In that case the proper diet in the US & Canada is not going to include Sunburst - Higgins Vita Garden is the proper diet in that situation, with added Pure Bites freeze dried chicken/turkey/shrimp(or another of their safe protein options, but you could also occasionally switch things up with boiled egg for example or another high quality animal protein source).

Pelleted diets aren't really appropriate as the main diet. They don't offer a high enough enrichment value and they're not really allowing natural foraging behaviors, something you honestly cannot replicate with pelleted foods especially when they're the main diet.
yes, I only just found out recently that Higgins sunburst isn't safe. I'm in the US and all the pet stores told me to get it so I was very misled. as I mentioned, I just ordered a much healthier seed mix from an Etsy seller (robin) and its coming on Tuesday. when it comes, I will stop giving them Higgins.
Thank you for letting me know about the Pure Bites, I didn't know they existed and had been giving my hamsters boiled eggs and chicken for protein. I will look into getting Pure Bites asap.
lovehamsters01 is offline   Reply With Quote