View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 12:25 AM  
Tiffanyh
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Cushing's disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hello. It's very difficult to diagnose and often misdiagnosed. The only way to get a clear diagnosis is via a blood test. Most vets can't do a blood test as it's a highly skilled technique due to hamsters tiny blood vessels.

Some of the symptoms of Cushings are the same as other conditions or generaly ageing (hair loss being one). If it's Cushings there is usually sore skin and scabs as well as hairloss.

I don't know what the discharge from his nose could be - he could have picked up a respiratory virus or something. I hope the antibiotics help.

I think I would look at it as general ageing. He may be nearer 2 than 18 months, and for a hamster, 18 months is considered to be oldish - the beginning of ageing.

The treatment is not particularly common either, but I can't see how your vet can prescribe treatment without a clear diagnosis. What other symptoms does he have? In some ways it's important to know if it's Cushings or not as Metacam is contraindicated with Cushings and can accelerate it/make it worse. I was very upset when a vet said she thought our first hamster had it and refused to prescribe Metacam as a result. I have since been told by another vet that there are other pain meds can be used if Metacam is contraindicated.

I think basically if he seems well enough in himself, just tlc and let him live out his life. And I think I would want a clear diagnosis. Other symptoms of cushings are swollen belly (also a symptom of any organ failure as they get older).
I think that may be why she wants to do a urine test to check to see if it could be anything else first.

He does have a couple of little scabs but because he has lost that much hair under his neck (pretty much bald) and on his face I don't know if it's just caused by scratching when cleaning himself. She checked his belly, breathing and in his mouth and said everything sounded/looked good.

I just want him to be comfortable because I'd hate for him to be suffering, he isn't as active as he used to be but again I don't know if that's because he's unwell or because he's getting old. He's eating and drinking like normal, just when he's out for his free roaming he has a little bit run around then goes in a hide to go back to sleep
Tiffanyh is offline   Reply With Quote