View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 11:57 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Percy's unknown skin lesion

Is that the scab on the side of his face? Where his pouch is? I thought it was under his chin. On the photo it does look like something that could be infected - a pouch abscess possibly. Don't worry about antibiotics - it's better than infection getting in the blood stream. I've always found they're fine with them for a normal course, and you can give probiotics afterwards to help the gut. Our Robo did look a bit ropey when on antibiotics but looked back to normal after finishing them.

I think it's probably the first thing they'd try - that and Metacam. If it is a tumour, metacam can apparently help shrink them.

Cancers are similar to with humans - some can be slow growing, some fast. And they can start fast and slow down - there's no fixed thing really.

I think it would be a good idea to see the exotic vet. A biopsy may well need an anaesthetic, even though it's visible and external, but possibly not. In which case, as that's a bit risky, it's probably best to do trial and error. Eg see if antibiotics improves it and if not - well it's something he's living with and on pain relief for.

The hardest thing with the antibiotics is making sure they get the regular dose without causing stress to an older hamster, which is why I always give it in food - none of this trying to hold them and syringe it - they can just get too distressed,

As it tastes really bad, most food doesn't disguise it, but I had a great tip on here from Vectis about a particular meaty dog food for small dogs (looks like corned beef in the packet) that disguises the taste and hamsters absolutely love it!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote