View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 07:43 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Extreme bar chewing

Keep an eye out for a bigger cage. See if anyone is selling a 4ft guinea pig cage and add mesh so she can't get out. My last hamster, Mania, was an extreme bar chewer, but when i removed the bars she started chewing through resin and plastic! So sometimes you have to think what's the lesser of the 2 evils. Bar chewing and potentially damaging her teeth, or chewing through a cage, escaping and getting injured or worse. I did weave cardboard like Serendipity mentioned or wedged strips of cardboard between the bars.

In Mania's case, her previous owner kept her in a cage that was too small and it became habit so when I got her it was her stimulus of choice I suppose. Don't know if it was the texture or the noise but she did it up until she passed and nothing would stop her. I was looking for a glass tank in the end but didn't find one that I could afford at the time.

As Serendipity says, just a straight glass tank would be ideal.