Thread: Losing appetite
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 05:16 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Losing appetite

I wouldn't worry too much about the hamster mix - it's hard to tell how much they eat and they often just eat from their hoards. If he doesn't eat the veg I'd be concerned - but it's common for them to nibble a bit and come back to it later.

Weight loss is a concern though at a year old, as Ria says. I think you should start weighing him weekly. My vet said even losing a few grams can mean something. So you can see if he is losing weight actively. You just need those flatbed electronic scales then it's easy. I put them on the floor or table on a book (needs to be on a flat surface) with a bit of tempting food in the middle, then zero them. Hamster walks on to get the food, you read the scales. At the moment I put them in the playpen (on a book on the floor). If they're on carpet etc they don't read correctly - hence needing the firm surface.

Is he showing any other signs of not being himself? Ears down?

Agree - get his teeth checked (or check them yourself). For fattening him up generally try giving a pinch of hemp seeds daily (high calorie and full of vitamins and minerals so healthy) and nuts as a treat 2 or 3 times a week. Half a shelled walnut for example. See if he gets excited by special treats like that as well - most hamsters love walnuts. Or blueberries.

If it's not his teeth then he may have something going on inside and you may not be able to do much about it. I think the first thing to test for is diabetes.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote