View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 08:11 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Bar spacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadies View Post
Hello,
I am creating a lid for an Ikea Detolf (I can't physically DIY anything and buying something expensive is out of the question).

I was looking to buy a metal grid with bar spacings of 12mm, would this be suitable for an adult Dwarf or Syrian?
Possible for a Syrian, not for an adult dwarf. Personally I wouldn't go above 1cm gap, but it's true, US sizing is "half inch" as the nearest inch sizing, which is about 1.2cm. You can get small syrians as well!

How would the grids be secured on? If you just lay them on top, a hamster could easily push them up.

I think I'd go for the paid for made lid. Or, as Ria says, is DIY completely out of the question? There are tutorials on youtube giving you the exact dimensions for the wood for the lids. You just get the diy store to cut the wood to the sized you need and just use corner brackets to screw the pieces together. You just need a screwdriver, some screws and a few corner brackets from the diy store. The mesh you can also have cut to size, from a roll at the diy store. And attach that with a stapler.

I admit though I would also balk at making one as the mesh is difficult to handle, needs folding at the edges so no sharp edges. And you need the right kind of stapler!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote