Thread: Vet fund
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 05:15 PM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Vet fund

For my hamsters:
- Female Robo (Pumpkin) - developed a lump at about 18 months. She required one vet visit, some Metacam and then to be put to sleep when the mass grew too big. This all cost about £60.

- Female Russian dwarf (Athena) - she never needed to see a vet until she had to be put to sleep aged 20 months because she couldn't eat. She had a gradual decline into frailness before that. The cost was £38.

- Female Russian dwarf (Bramble) - she is still alive and currently 2 years 2 months old. About a year ago she developed a lump and a sore near her ear and needed 3 vet visits, Metacam and Baytril which in total probably cost about £100. Surprisingly after that she had a new lease on life: the sore eventually healed up, the lump shrank and she's getting a bit wobbly now but hasn't needed to see a vet in months!

- Male Syrian (Kebab) - he is also 2 years and a couple of months old but I've only had him for 6 weeks. However I have a copy of his medical notes from his previous owner. Apparently he had fleas about 6 months ago which required an anti-parasite, and he saw a vet for an eye issue 2 months and needed some eye drops and Metacam.

I would add that when it comes to expensive tests and surgeries, everyone has their financial limits and I don't think you have you have to be able to afford every treatment possible to get a hamster. Personally I think that at minimum, a hamster should always be taken to the vet for evaluation when needed, given basic treatment such as pain medication or antibiotics if required, and never allowed to suffer even if that means having them put to sleep.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote