View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 06:56 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: He's blocked himself in!

I wouldn’t personally worry too much as kaytee clean and cosy when broken up I think will always allow for air to move in and out. It’s hard to make a solid block of it but if you are concerned you could make an air hole.

My hamster is terrible for this though! She’s completed blocked one entrance with bedding, she actually broke one side of her house and pulled it inward so it’s more triangular, she also chewed a hole underneath to make a hide for food. On the outskirts of her cage is stuffed with bedding, and lastly the only other entrance she’s barricaded with chew toys! She drags these to get out in the evening.

I do notice if my doors been left open and the cats snuck in without my knowledge suddenly the barricades become reinforced so maybe it could be a sign something is scaring them more. If you have other pets definitely keep them separate.

But at the same time I don’t like touching their set ups too much because it makes them incredibly anxious. I could’ve killed my OH the other day when he took out all the bedding on the outskirts because it was dropping through the bars on to the floor. But he couldn’t understand why Mitzi had become so skittish in her cage when he’d done it. It is their safety so it’s okay to slightly rearrange or clean if there is an issue but try not to tamper too much with their houses.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote