View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 04:56 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Raphael (Raffy's) Adventures

Raffy was no show last night for the first time.

Had quite a long session in the playpen tonight and I added a few more things - the donut bed (he did like most of them do, buried himself in it - but then being a chewer, tried to rip it to bits). And another wheel, so he had two wheels in there. He definitely seems more at home after two weeks and is looking more thoughtful and interested and relaxed in the playpen. Still zipping about but sat casually for a wash behind the wheel a couple of times.

I had one leg in the playpen and he had a chew of my shoelaces and climbed on my foot (then scent marked my foot! Rubbed his way all round it). He's got used to my foot being in there now.

I've been wearing gloves recently so I'm not nervous trying to handle him. But still can't handle him. He avoided my hands tonight although did manage to stroke him on the back a couple of times.

Anyway I thought - time we had a bit of proper taming. I nearly managed to pick him up cupping him between both hands but he panicked and pinged out. And I thought - need to bite the bullet here. I can't handle him in here because the playpen's too big.

So I put a cardboard box in the playpen and let him walk into that then turned it upright, and did a bit of attempted handling in there.

He really doesn't like hands. I did manage to carefully pick him up from behind (while he was trying to climb the sides of the box) so I could hold him hand to hand, but he was trying so hard to escape I couldn't hold him without having to hold too hard. So had to keep letting him go. Anyway did that a few times - so hopefully something will rub off. One time I tried to pick him up he pulled round and bit my glove. But not later.

Anyway I felt really bad afterwards as he seemed a bit stressed and sort of staying in one corner and doing funny little movements.

I think he has had some very bad handling in the past and it's going to be hard building trust to handle him easily.

But he did get lots of treats afterwards. Ate some pumpkin seeds from my gloved hand. Then stayed on his shelf looking at me after I put him back in his cage (I'm not quite sure if he felt more positive after the handling or if he was just guilt tripping me sitting there looking at me). So he then had a bit of cheese through the bars as another treat. Then I went to make some porridge and gave him a teaspoon in the cage with that on. He seemed to quite like the teaspoon!

Gave Pip some again as Pip appeared tonight! After two weeks hiding away.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote