Thread: Hamster food
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 10:01 AM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Hamster food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
Different species have different preferences and tastes. I have three different mixes: one for my Syrian, one for my dwarf, and one for my gerbils. The Syrian mix has lots of larger grains like barley, oats, wheat, corn. It also has Science Selective pellets and a small amount of cornflakes because they like those. The dwarf mix has some of the larger grains but also millet and grass seeds which Syrians don't tend to like.

There's also individual preference. Fortunately my Syrian likes dried insects so I have black soldier fly larvae in his mix but a lot of Syrians don't so for other hamsters I might need to do something different. On the other hand it's rare to find a dwarf who doesn't like insects. Neither my dwarf Bramble nor my late dwarf Athena ever ate whole oats so I stopped putting those in their mix.
I see. This is very helpful. In that case he will make different foods for each species. I understand it is also down to personal taste and in time we will learn what the hamster likes and dislikes.

I thought we could make a mix and then adjust protein but I can see that would not work so different mixes it is then.
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote