View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 09:14 AM  
Slykk
Newborn Pup

Default My first hamster

Hello everyone!

So I've been interested in getting a hamster for a few months now and I've done a lot of research on hamster enclosures and what a hamster needs (youtube, forums, etc).
I spent about 4 months building the best enclosure I could possible make, its 120cmX50cm floor space and 65cm height which allows me to have 35cm of bedding (I use Kaytee Clean & Cozy Natural), this is the best I could do to fit my room, I simply do not have more room than that.
I've made platforms for everything, I got hideouts, the best wheel possible, sand bath area, coconut fiber digging box, big cork logs, lots of enrichments and the best possible things I could find.
After everything was set up I adopted a beautiful and cute little golden syrian hamster (female) who was said to be about 2 months old (unfortunately we don't have breeders here).
She is a little used to hands from birth and so far has not bitten me at all (let's hope it stays that way).
Miso is her name (yes I love KumaQQ on youtube).
prior to my adoption she was at a typical pet-store bought cage, no depth for bedding and generally quite small, unfit for a hamster.
When I first got her she explored the cage for about 20 minutes and then started to burrow from underneath the platforms.
My problem is this, my hamster is a ghost hamster and I cant figure out how to get her to surface a little.
I've had her for about a week now, at first she would come up at around 9-10PM, then 11PM, then 12:00AM, now I just don't see her at all.
She is not motivated by food, only when its right at her face and she smells it well. She generally stays in her burrows about 95% of the time, even when she wakes up midday for a quick snack she would simply take it from her stash.
I know I am giving her a very good life, but I wish I could have some interaction with her, I only managed to get her out of the cage 3 times for an attempt of tame session (using a big mug, she wouldn't climb on my hand) and she is quite skittish, however she lets me stroke and pet her a little.
I would be fine if she woke up and went outside of her burrows but she never does, only when I'm asleep and I can sometimes hear her on the wheel when it wakes me up (and I'm too tired to get up and play with her as it would mean that I would become a zombie the next day).
Is there anything that can be done? any tips/tricks? I saw someone suggest a crow's nest at the top of the bedding but I don't quite understand how to make something like that...
Is it too soon to decide whether she really is a ghost hamster or not?
I've attached photos of her and the enclosure (german style) that I've made for her.

Slykk is offline   Reply With Quote