View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 09:23 AM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Houses and hides

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidii View Post
Neptr, at least at his young age, seems a bit like a ghost hamster. He's never had an interest in me or food, and therefore waits till I've gone to bed late into the night to wake up. I'm fine if he stays like that for his entire life, as much as I'd love a hamster that I've got a bond with, he is perfect just the way he is. However, in the short time I've had Pico, my adopted Robo hamster, Pico has sat on his waterbottle right beside me and watched me on my computer, wait to be fed, runs off with his pouches full and then will come right back after storing his food. He seems incredibly friendly, but I do find it incredibly stressful as I'm used to my DIY cage where I can have my hand in there with no risk of Neptr getting out. However the barred cage Pico is in, he can get out when I'm offering food, so I'm always quite anxious on that note.

As for hides, I wouldn't see an issue in them. In the wild, I doubt they have 'perfectly' sized hides. As long as it's safe for them to leave and enter without risk of injury, it should be fine. So, the real risk is giving a Syrian a small hide, as they can get stuck.
Thank you for sharing this with me. It is so nice to hear how well little Pico is settling in and that he likes to interact with you. I can see your point about being worried he could get out the cage when you offer food. They really are so tiny!
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote