Thread: Neptr
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 04:27 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Neptr

He is absolutely gorgeous! Some hamsters are just shy (or dare I say it lazy?!) .

I've had some that just keep to themselves a lot or need coaxing out but they're often better once out of the cage. Our last Syrian didn't do much in the playpen either - until I put a wheel in it - he liked that. But only for a few minutes, then would just sit in a hide. However, what he did like was being on the sofa! Just rummaging around behind cushions and climbing the cushions and the back of the sofa, so that's how I had interaction with him. From there it was free roaming (once the living room was hamsterproofed). Even then he'd just find a corner to sit in sometimes! But did have a bit of a run around. He preferred the sofa I think.

What time do you feed him? I think the key to getting them out earlier is a set feeding time early in the evening with a bit of cage clanging noise as you do it. And putting a bit of fresh veg out with the food. They get in the habit of waking up earlier and coming out for the food (mainly the veg which they can smell) and that's a time you can get them into a tube or ball or some other transport receptacle for some out of cage time.

Keep persisting with the handtaming as once he's hand tame he could have some sofa time!

Also - he is still very young. They sometimes don't gain in confidence until they're a few months old. Just keep talking to him and have a feeding time routine and out of cage routine and he'll get to know you more and more.

He maybe a sleepyhead like our last Syrian! But feeding time was the time I'd get him out. They behave differently at different times of the evening too.

How do you know he doesn't come out till 4am?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote