View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 07:21 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster Doesn't Like Thumb

I've watched the video all the way through now. She's gorgeous and it's really positive that she is actually sitting on your hand and not running away from it. She is clearly exploring it and doing what hamsters do - testing things out to see if they are edible. It's noticeable your thumb protrudes separately and she found the end of it under the substrate so had a bite!

They do learn words and tone of voice like other pets. So they do learn "No". Not said in an angry way but a kind of friendly stern way.

To be honest I'm amazed she tolerated a hand in her cage so long. They can be very territorial about their cage but behave completely differently out of the cage. I'd suggest getting her to walk into a tube, lifting her out that way, with your hands over the end of the tube (wear gloves if you worry she might bite because if it makes you jump you could drop the tube). Put the tube down in a kind of taming box or something or a box to transport her to a taming area like a playpen or the bathtub.

You are doing really well with her for such early days. My Syrian bit me last night as well when I tried to pick him up. Because he isn't tame yet and not fully familiar with me - that is all it is. Once they are tame and familiar with you, they will only ever give a nip if you're a) hurting them b)holding them up in the air too long and they don't like it (ie carrying them which is not a good idea anyway as they can jump and fall, even when tame - always carry them in something secure) or c) they are frightened. Or d) you taste or smell of food!

They have incredibly poor eyesight and test things out via smell and taste.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote