View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 11:39 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Post Re: My long haired syrian never comes out!

It could be down to timing and the clocks going forward didn't help. A hamster often gets up late and you go to bed early so it's near impossible to spend time together.
Our first Syrian only asked to come out maybe once a week, if that but when i got up during the night at 03.00 for example, he'd sit by the door waiting. Unfortunately, i had a job to go to in the morning so couldn't oblige..

We had a hamster who spent his entire life in his cage which was his choice. He was a happy hamster but i felt guilty sometimes thinking he's missing out. I tried playpen time several times but he'd just sit and sulk, waiting to go home.

We currently have four Syrians, all of them want out of cage time in the evening but that's the way they are. They love to be free and get a proper run on the floor. Obviously, they have to wait their turn but i have set up two separate hamster playgrounds.

Then there are the ones inbetween like our dwarf who comes to her door when she wants out which is usually during daytime. Never for long though. She does a couple of rounds around the room and then comes back to me, her taxi.

They go through phases sometimes and change their habits. I'd keep offering your hamster a vessel to walk into for out of cage time when he's about and let him decide whether he wants to walk into it or not.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote