View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 09:16 AM  
julie020
Hamster Pup

Smile My long haired syrian never comes out!

Hi

I’m not new here and definitely an experienced hamster owner..I’ve had a syrian.. 4 robos…. 2 Chinese…over the last 10+ years..oh and 3 rats.

Here’s my problem..hope someone can help?

I presently have a white long haired Syrian boy..he’s about 6 or 7 months old. Snowball is his name. He lives in a massive Savic plaza upgraded from hamster heaven. Lots of ledges..tubes..massive freestanding trixie wheel and a slightly smaller one attached to cage on higher level. He has 4 water bottles dotted around different levels. He has lots of hiding places and lives in a fairly large shoe box! He loves his shoe box!

Around his cage is a playpen …lots of plastic panels tied together with cable ties...quite big and I have loads of playpen toys…

He lives in the room next to living room..it’s semi open plan and my dementia mum watches tv all day most days but not too loud….he gets a break when carers take her out.

Every night I put treats all around his cage on the ledges…and scatter feed.

Trouble is..he used to want to come out..sit at door waiting…now….nothing! Hates coming out! I have to force him out to check on him and clean/change his shoebox. He’s lovely..tame..stretches..has a clean up when he comes out…let’s me cuddle him..my husband cuddles him…he’s very tame..not jumpy or nervous…but after I’ve cleaned him out…he wants back in his cage…he won’t stay out long!

It’s got to a point I only get him out once a week…to clean his cage. He’s not food orientated so can’t coax him out. He comes out at night as my husband has seen him..I put tape on the wheels so I know he uses them..both! The treats are always gone! I don’t really want to force him out anyway..not for my pleasure…as he just wants to go back.

We go to bed early…and go to work early.

I rarely ever see him and I’m getting worried I’m doing something wrong..even although I’m experienced. Never had one like this before.

Btw..I’m not a youngster….I’m a grandmother who loves rodents!

Thanks for any input or comments.

Julie

Last edited by julie020; 04-28-2022 at 09:22 AM.
julie020 is offline   Reply With Quote