View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 02:17 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Thank you for that Sushi!

Raffy has been quite noisy this evening lol. On investigation, to see what the noise was, he was round the left hand side of the cage, partly under the substrate (his head popped out when I went over to call him) and chewing the cardboard I put inside the cage bars. On closer inspection he has successfully demolished 25cm of cardboard and a cable tie! ie half of that side of the cage no longer has any cardboard and there is substrate all over the floor (raised eyebrows from OH but really it's not that much and easily swept up with a dustpan and brush )

He was out and about in the cage a bit when I talked to him and coming to the bars, so put his food out and that seemed to distract him. He did seem like he wanted to come out though, so I went to set the playpen up. But by then he'd disappeared again. Anyway I'll leave it set up for next time (in the other room) in case he does the same tomorrow. Downside to that is the playpen gets tripped over sometimes! It's a downstairs bedroom so not used that much except when stepson is here - his computer is in there. But I can leave it up for a few days now.

Nice to see Raffy out a few times this evening. He seems slightly jittery tonight, which is not surprising for his first few days in a new environment when the initial excitement has worn off. He did seem to want some attention so chatted to him for a bit and he did seem to want to come out. So I offered the snooze cube for him to walk into but he had second thoughts and went off again. I would normally leave it 2 or 3 days before getting them out anyway.

He's quite happy to interact through the bars though Then he did a funny thing and rubbed himself one sided round the side of his terracotta plate lol. Then sat and had a scratch and a wash and seemed a bit happier after some attention and chat. Not sure if he had an itch on one side or was scent marking the terracotta plate.

I am slightly concerned he would leap out the front door if I opened it though! So need to hamsterproof the room again and put some cushions down before thinking about getting him out!

Last edited by souffle; 05-04-2022 at 02:31 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote