Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Mixing Hamster Foods

I mix Bunny Dream Syrian and Harry Hamster 50/50. That's an easier calculation

HH has 18% protein
Bunny Dream has 15% - add them together and divide by two

So the protein content is 16.5% overall

Or you can assume it is on average over a week say

So it actually reduces the protein content of HH but increases the protein content of Bunny Dream.

If you mix three you'd do the same

Rodipet Syrian junior has 14.9%
HH 18%
Bunny Dream 14%

Add the three together and divide by three and it's 15.6%

15.6% is fine for an older syrian (over a year old) but for a younger one you'd need to supplement the protein a bit by giving occasional high protein treats. some people give freeze dried chicken or shrimp or extra meal worms. I tend to give the occasional nut - which is always appreciated! Half a shelled walnut or plain cashew nut or brazil nut, a pinch of hemp seeds maybe. You can also give the odd bit of plain cooked chicken or beef if you've had a roast dinner! (Providing no spices or gravy etc). I used to do that with our first hamster - during out of cage time. Because he always ate what he wanted and left the rest. Our second hamster used to pouch it so I stopped doing it - didn;t want rotting meat in the cage! Even the occasional tiny bit of cheddar cheese doesn't do any harm as an occasional treat.

The above way of working it out was first suggested by Vectis I believe.

You need to weigh it out before mixing it to get equal amounts of each - say 100g of each, mix them together well (shake it up) and put it in a tub,

I think you need to give it a shake and a mix regularly really or the HH tends to fall to the bottom, with the heavier pieces.

I used to mix those three but had a bad batch of Rodipet food last year which put me off. Mind you I recently found Zooplus didn't have any Bunny Dream food so might need to try Rodipet again!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote