View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 06:14 AM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Having a hamster while at uni?

I am at university but I never bothered with university accommodation. I was at an advantage since I rented somewhere owned by my partners mum and rented at a reduced amount but that flat did allow some animals. Then we moved to where we are now which is still a flat that you have to ask for permission for the animal but you are allowed them. Also this isn’t a shared flat meaning a landlord would need to give prior warning before entering there’s a lot more rules so you would have time to hide animals lol.

I don’t think universities usually do allow animals but if you haven’t asked definitely do. I have heard of ones not allowing animals and people hiding them in cupboards when the cleaners come round but that’s no life for an animal in my opinion. So your choices are look around for pet allowed flats near the uni or ask the uni and accept the response.

I do agree with Ria though if your hamster can’t come with you, I’d consider rehoming them if your mum will not give them the proper attention. Just because there is no way you’ll go uni without needing some form of additional income because your student loan will not cover all the costs. And if you work, normally small jobs will get you to come in on weekends and if this is your only time to come home then you won’t be able to see your hamster as much as you think.

The only thing I will say is if you haven’t had your university timetable yet I think you’ll find you’ll have A LOT more free time than you think. I’ll try upload a picture of mine so you get an idea.

Most of my lectures occur on a Monday and I’m thinking if you drive, I’d actually strongly consider living at home for university. This sounds weird but accommodation is costly and if you only need to go uni 2-3 times a week you’d save a lot of money only having to pay for fuel and stay home with your hamster. Also most of my lectures are online as well meaning you don’t even have to show up, you can watch from home.

Obviously you might want to fly the nest so to speak and I know I did, but my university was about 1 to and 1 and half drive from where I was living. And I don’t drive so I had to move. I’d just consider potentially staying at home.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote