View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 05:33 PM  
arnoldshirl
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Show us what you've made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I love that idea - an edible, nutritious hide Photos please! When it's dried out. Do you bake them? (I'm thinking oat biscuits!).
No baking involved in this edible house, just air dry. However, I did decide one time to use Oat Flour instead of the Chia Flour in making her treats with leftover seeds she seems to be finicky about eating.
I mix Oat Flour and Water together (the amount depends on how much you want to make) I use 1 Cup of Oat Flour and slowly add water to make a dough texture. Then I knead it for a few minutes then knead the seeds into it before rolling it out on a lightly Oat Floured counter. I cut out shapes with cutters for playdough and bake them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. The length of time depends on the size and thickness of the shape, however, it only takes mine 20 maybe 25 minutes to bake to hardness. I let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to thoroughly cool before storing in airtight glass jar as well as serving her a treat.
I also at times add to this recipe some mashed fruit, the juice takes place of the water and it gives her treat a fruit taste. She seems to enjoy her leftover seeds this way.
I also feed her dehydrated vegetables and fruits too, she seems to prefer them over the fresh and that’s fine with me because the ‘crunchy’ texture helps her teeth.
I will post a picture of the house when it is completed, so far the Oat Flour and Water is working (fingers are still crossed here).
arnoldshirl is offline   Reply With Quote