View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 08:59 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Show us what you've made!

So sorry - moving and uncertainty is incredibly stressful. I was in that position a few years ago when we were renting. And you don't always want to move at the time required. I hope it all comes together - it usually does Then once you've moved it's a relief (and a load of work lol).

I set up a Kerry Terrarium (glass tank) for our first robo and it looked lovely - I loved setting up a tank. But hated it for getting a hamster in and out and interacting - and moved him to a barred cage. It didn't look so glamorous but the hamster was happier and so was I.

One option you could think of (which is something I thought about once) if you don't mind a bit of diy. I've seen it done on a German forum. Was make a deep base for a barred cage. Kind of the best of both worlds. You have the deep substrate and you have the barred cage. But if you wanted to see into it - ie glass, it would probably have to be custom made. Jungle pets do that - they'll make a glass enclosure and size or shape you want and fit ledges to sit bars on. It would probably cost at least £100 though I think and so you'd need to have the cage already or you'd be paying for two cages.

You get people in the US with glass tanks actually buying a cage tank topper! Because they can't get cages and tanks are more easily available.

I've just put cardboard round the inside of my new plaza - not that high, only a couple of inches - gives about 7" of Substrate. On Pip's Plaza the cardboard is about 4" to 5" high giving about 10" of substrate.

Doesn't look glamorous at all. Although I did think, if I'd had more time, I'd have decorated one side of the cardboard that showed from the outside! I put it on the inside as well - attached with cable ties. I don't need to take the bars off very often and if I do I scoop a load of substrate out first.

Exo Terra's biggest suitable terrarium is 90cm x 45cm x 45cm. It's a good size - if you can find one second hand that would be good but yes they cost a fortune new. You are limited with substrate depth though as there's only about 15cm below the doors at the front. You could just use one door and have it deep at one end though.

I think it's the weight of tanks puts me off as well. The Maxi Duna Multy is better for that but it's a bit low for doing much with.

I've seen people be creative decorating cage bases as well!

But as Luna says it's up to you. A longer tank style like 100cm or a detolf, even though it's top access, might be easier as your arm could go in at an angle so your hand is more flat. A tall tank, it's like a claw coming from above and items descending from above!

You could make a diy cage with a front door though. Something like the Linmon cage, but instead of one sheet of glass in the front, a lower sheet of perspex and a hinged door above it with perspex in a wood frame. I balk at the idea of making such a thing as don't have the time.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote