View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 12:07 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Adopting a Syrian

Ugh. A few issues so far. I’ve put the cage together - all fine. The shelf has arrived and seems fine except it didn’t occur to me that because it has Preinstalled bolts either end I can’t fit it on the cage! My previous shelf just had pre drilled holes and the screws went in from the outside. This one has sturdy bolts prefixed into the shelf which aren’t intended to come out and nuts that screw on from the inside. With the bolts protruding either end the shelf is wider than the bars! I’ve tried putting it in at an angle but the only way to get both sets of bolts through the bars would be bend the bars. Will have to see if OH can get the bolts out at one end and use different fixings.

Also I had decided to get another Rodipet house but knew it wouldn’t be here on time - probably arrive next week. Don’t have any spare houses any more as cut them up to make a platform and used that in Pip’s cage.

So I decided to get a Ferplast sin rabbit house (used that before - before I found the rabbit houses). Like Guinea pig one bit bigger and can upgrade him to the Rodipet one later when he’s settled in. And it’s not too expensive. Except that has arrived and it is so splintery! Either the quality has gone downhill or I’ve been unlucky - every single bit is splintery - all the edges, all the surfaces, all the grooves. After sanding the roof I have almost given up and still have four more pieces. Think I’m just going to send it back and make a shoebox house - if I can find a shoebox.

So far have some rat tunnels and a few hides and a wheel. Oh and having problems putting the silent runner together as well! As I keep telling people - you need to push the front and back together firmly so there’s no gap at the joining strip. Well I’ve done that and there’s no gap on the outside but there is on the inside. Just a tiny one but - will try turning the joining strip over the other way round.

Anyway tomorrow is another day! Hamster arriving on Saturday.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote