Thread: Little Pico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 05:30 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Little Pico

Understood I'm the other way! I don't like the glass wall between me and the hamster but I agree cages are a nightmare unless they have a large front door for access (and I like that for interaction with the hamster). They all have pros and cons.

I don't worry too much about them being easy to clean because I don't do full clean outs very often Maybe ever 3 to 4 months and the cage is usually pretty much clean and dry anyway if you use a litter tray and have plenty of substrate.

So with a minimum of 6" of bedding and a litter tray, you just spot clean the substrate now and then and there is much less cleaning needed.

When it does come to a full cage clean then yes it can be a slight hassle having to take the bars off the base, but at least the base is then light and easy to move and fits in the bath if it needs disinfecting at some point.

If you're keen on a tank style enclosure though, then I think a detolf would be better than the others you mentioned, and yes you could section off a third of it at first and ten gradually expand it if he settles.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote