Thread: Little Pico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 04:54 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Little Pico

To help him settle and distract him out of the stress, scatter feeding a bit of food each time would be good and adding something like a whimzee toothbrush chew with sunflower seeds stuck in the bristles - they like getting the sunflower seeds out. Just put food in the bowl a usual (I put about a dessertspoonful a day - they eat very little) and scatter no more than about half a teaspoonful.

And they definitely need a sand bath! Robos love a sand bath. And a shelf or platform - they love having some overhead cover via a shelf and also seem to love running up onto a shelf (I have the sand bath on the shelf so it doesn't sink into the substrate - but it needs to have a back on the sand bath in that cage (or some cardboard on the bars behind it (or the sand will get thrown out of the bars!

And a huge pile of paper bedding - toilet paper torn into strips.

It sounds like the previous owner found it really hard letting the hamster go and loved it but did the right thing finding him a new home. If she was happy picking him up and holding him he may have been fairly hand tame but yes a huge risk doing that outside!

Robos are the most frightened of all the species - understandably - being so small and prey animals - but they do gain in confidence once settled in a cage.

I think a cage upgrade would be important after 2 to 3 weeks as no doubt the old cage carries some scent from the old home (and the dog) which will remain as a reminder and stressor.

So it's a case of either waiting 2 to 3 weeks then upgrading. Or doing it straight away and giving him chance to settle. But if you do it straight away you will need to retain about half the shavings or the move will be too stressful. Any new cage make sure everything is fully set up so no tweaks or changes needed after the move!

Are you going to keep him? I think maybe another move and change of owner might be an added stress but depends.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote