Thread: Little Pico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 04:50 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Little Pico

If you haven't taken the substrate out yet, I would do it gradually by taking out a few handfuls of the shavings and adding quite a bit of paper bedding and mixing it in, then you'll have a mix of paper and shavings and some familiar scent. I think this is fine and is how I gradually switched over to paper bedding without stressing the hamster. As you spot clean each time you'll be adding more paper and there'll be less shavings each time. It does give some variety as well.

It's up to you but I think short term it will do no harm to leave some of the shavings in for a month or so until you gradually change over to paper bedding.

Shavings in the Uk all have to be kiln dried so they should be fine.

With the neurological issues you describe I think stress is a bigger risk than wood shavings right now. So gradual changes.

The Bunny dwarf hamster food is excellent - I use it for our robo. It is a little low on protein so supplementing with the odd higher protein treat would be good - the occasional half a walnut or a tiny bit of cheese goes down well! But the protein isn't that bad if you just give the odd high protein treat.

I'd add a shoebox house - just pop it in partly buried in the substrate - he'll love that and feel safe.

I'd also give him a good two weeks undisturbed to settle and calm down and get some habits in his cage and he then should seem visibly happier.

If there's not much in the cage, then adding items is fine - it's moving them around that stresses them. So adding a flying saucer and a house and a tube and toy or two will improve his enrichment.

Robos definitely dig and tunnel so as much bedding as you can fit in - I'd fill the base and heap it up in the middle - it probably won't fall out of the bars.

By keeping say two thirds of the old substrate and mixing new in for now, it will keep smelling familiar and be less stress for him.

Some robos are born with neurological issues like spinning or moon gazing but it may also have been triggered or worsened by the stress of the dog. It may never settle down and there is nothing a vet can do about it. It's something they will live with, but from the research I've read, it doesn't actually distress the hamsters and they seem quite happy despite the neurological behaviour. But the most important thing with this neurological condition is avoiding stress.

So I wouldn't change much at all for at least two or three weeks apart from adding bedding and swapping a few handfuls of shavings out for paper bedding and adding a bit more paper bedding, but mix it in so he can still smell the shavings.

Robos like plenty of hidey places to dive into when out in the cage so they feel secure from above.

For now I would just keep talking to him daily, gently so he starts to trust you and gets used to your voice. I actually think a detolf may be too much space for him if he has a genetic neurological condition (even if genetic it is worsened by stress). But an 80cm or 100cm cage would be good. As he's used to a cage already he will probably be better in another cage. I currently have our robo in the 100cm Savic Plaza but it's far too tall - it either needs a full level making or cardboard round the inside bars (which is what I have done) to have deeper bedding and thus reduce the height of the cage. Even then I find it a bit tall and had to be really careful setting it up to reduce fall risks. They are so tiny and can easily be injured with too much height. I have about 8" high cardboard cable tied round the inside - 10" would be better.

A hamster heaven cage would also be fine - with the tubes and penthouse removed. It's lower height and has a big front opening door. Our last robo was in that size cage and very happy.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote