Thread: Little Pico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 03:24 AM  
heidii
Hamster Pup

Default Little Pico

Hi all! It wasn't too long ago that I got my little Syrian boy, Neptr. He is real sweet, and whilst we haven't gotten massively far with taming (I believe he may be actively avoiding me now, has changed sleep patterns to when I'm actually in bed lol) he does like to eat out of my hand.

I'm constantly on the lookout, still, for hamsters in my areas. Not nescecarily to keep, but I know that if I get the ones in tiny cages, I'll be able to find really good homes for them. A lot of people decide to get rid of their hamster ASAP, and so aren't too adamant about them going to good homes.

I saw an ad on Gumtree, replied, and honestly completely forgot about it. I don't even remember replying to the ad, I just know as I was doing my check on all the pet sites in my area, I saw I had a response. They had just gotten a Cane Corso and he would chase this little baby round when he was in the ball. Pico also came with softwood shavings, tubes for his cage (I don't even know what cage it is), chinchilla dust(?), a bag of hay (assuming timothy, it's quite pointy/sharp), two bags of Harry Hamster and dozens of hamster treats.

They were kind enough to deliver the little thing, too! I didn't live far but a train journey nonetheless. They gave me a bag of things, the cage and I gave them the £20.

This is the little ham. Ever so tiny compared to Neptr, and incredibly speedy. I did get him with strong intentions of rehoming - was going to get a vet checkup after a week or two, and then look for people who wanted to ethically obtain a hamster. However, he seems to either be incredibly emotionally stressed or have some kind of neurological problem. He kept spinning and spinning, and couldn't work out where his hide was when I moved it.

He also appears to have never been given enough bedding to burrow. Mildly glad he hasn't had that much bedding in his cage, however, as he was on softwood shavings. Just enough to cover the plastic of his cage. I covered his cage with a coat, and will likely be looking at a cage large enough for him to live with me for a bit.

I have no clue on age or gender, just that he's a Robovroski (again, just assuming that. I've never owned a dwarf species).

I've completely filled the base of his enclosure with paper bedding - I did this without checking to see what the wood shavings were. Should I remove it all & and get rid of the wood shavings? Or would that stress him too much?

Any help appreciated.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote