View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 03:15 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Show us what you've made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilafernim View Post
I understand what you’re saying. I do like the naturalistic look just sometimes colour and themes would be nicer but I have seen people make some great enclosures without any painted items. I might just look into maybe getting a greater variety of substrate as it’s probably a nicer solution for my hamster anyway.
This is definitely a reason why cages with clear backs can be a big advantage. You can completely customize the outside without adding anything that could be accessed by a hamster and cause issues, but you'd still have tons of options for adding a lot of color or quickly and easily changing themes.

Gel clings definitely work on glass, I'd imagine they should work on clear plastics like acrylic too though. You could also use different wrapping papers for backgrounds, and I've even seen some nicer floral options for example in the US in the past but there are tons of options. You can also print your own background and tape it up - alternatively you can even do the same process with different art supplies for a more unique handmade look.

Other than creating just a full background plus being useful for the outside clear sections other than just the back some cages have(or even the plastic bases of wire cages for example) you could use stickers or vinyl decals. People with Cricut machines definitely have a huge advantage in terms of being able to make basically any sort of sticker they want, but I do remember seeing sticker paper for certain types of regular printers which is another DIY option to look into.

Creative decorating for the outside of cages as well as any surfaces they're kept on can definitely make a difference. You can also decorate the wall around the cage too, and it can be done in a way that doesn't allow hamster access as long as it's not too close to any cage bars and such!

ETA I completely forgot to mention that for inside the cage you can use hamster safe dried flowers for example to add a bit of color.

The Hay Experts have these sunflower petals that would add a nice touch of yellow:
Sunflower Petals - The Hay Experts | Herbs & Treats | The Hay Experts
The Hay Experts also have this which could look good in a more halloween themed cage though not colorful:
Black Mallow (The Hay Experts) | Edibles | The Hay Experts

Last edited by AmityvilleHams; 04-21-2022 at 03:26 AM.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote