View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 12:23 PM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Safe wood sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
That looks an interesting option I would still test it on something first. When it says low VOC and water based that doesn't mean it won't stink to high heaven! I've had some issues with paints for the house like that. When they are low VOC they can sometimes have a lot more ammonia in (ended up with a wall smelling of cat pee! I had to scrub it all off again, seal it and paint it with something else).

I agree you need to be careful what to use. There have been varying views about using Cuprinol garden shades as well - and it is acrylic - have used it on our fence - it has a kind of plasticky feel afterwards. It's probably ok as long as it isn't chewed - but that's what we don't know - unless it's something that can't easily be chewed like a flat base.

When I first joined here, people used to use the spray on plastikote for larger items (needs to be done outdoors though or you'll end up with it on everything). That then needs time for the smell to wear off.

The small pots of plastikote do work out expensive if you need to cover a large area but one pot does go quite a long way. Four pots would only be about £16 and should give two coats on a vary large area.

What is it you're painting?
I am using it for my hamster enclosure. It should be arriving Friday. I have ordered the sealant I linked above.
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote