View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 11:37 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Shelves for cages 2022

Just an updated thread for anyone looking for shelves for cages. I used to get the wood ones from Ranchouse cages on ebay, as linked by another member some years ago, but they only have very small ones these days (but they do still sell coloured bendy bridges that screw to the bars).

So in searching for shelving I have come across these options.

This place (Garden Valley on ebay) makes pine shelves for chinchilla cages (or any cages) in various widths or depths, complete with all the fixings, and they will also make a custom size. Their delivery is a bit slow (about 10 days) so it would take some planning - unless it's a stock size and they might be able to do it quicker.

If anyone is wanting a shelf for the Savic Plaza, you need 18.75" width! (I have 10" depth but 8" depth might be ok too). Which means either buying a 19" or 20" shelf and cutting a bit off and redoing the fixings at one end - or getting one custom cut to size with the fixings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/dagenterp...75.m3561.l2563

Attachment 53117

This place (Chinchilla Shelving supplies on ebay) sells some great ladders - which also come with fixings so they can be screwed to the bars. Which is good, as ladders are hard to find/attach and can be a hazard if they fall down. I currently have a standard ladder which we stuck a screw through to keep it secure. Obviously this limits a ladder to being next to the cage bars but it's a great idea to keep one secure going up to a shelf.

Wooden Ladder / Ramp 150mm - 300mm Long x 94mm Wide - Cage Fixing Design - Pine | eBay

Attachment 53115

They also do small and medium sized shelves. They do some nesting boxes/houses too but those seem to be made with nails so not great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_d...upplies&_oac=1

Ranchhouse cages on ebay (now called Ranchhouse cage kit) Still sell the coloured bendy stick bridges that screw to the bars but only as this pack with two small ledge shelves. The ledge shelves are ok to make steps with but a bit slippery on top when they've been plastikotes - I had to stick hemp mat on top of them to use them as steps. I like these bendy bridges because they're smooth wood - no sharp bits or splinters. And they screw to the bars. But it's not cheap at £14.99 to get one bendy stick bridge if you don't want the shelves! They also sell some small shelves but no larger ones any more.

Two 6x4" shelves with log bridge/ramp rat,degus,chinchilla,chipmunk cage 7107714281992 | eBay

Attachment 53114

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote