View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 06:46 AM  
cloudy
Whimzee dealer

Default Re: Safe wood sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Hamster chews, at least ones not made with harmful paints which almost definitely exist considering how little safety regulations there often are with pet products let alone ones for small animals, would be dyed using synthetic food dyes. It may not be ideal for those wanting to stick to more natural substances(like myself) in general but it's a lot better than risking a hamster ingesting things like plastic from "non toxic" acrylic paints and such!

The Protek Tough Coat for example doesn't give a thorough ingredients list, however it does state it's water based acrylic. While that wouldn't necessarily be a problem with hamsters that don't chew on their cage, there is always the risk of ingestion with any plastic based product(including other popular waterproofing methods used here). It's definitely something to keep in mind for hamster safety, plus coatings can and often will inevitably chip to varying degrees which again adds to the risk of ingestion of plastics in particular.

One huge thing I would always say though - baby or general "pet safe" do NOT automatically equate to 100% hamster safe. Different species have different safety issues with certain substances and hamsters are no exception, especially when we think about things humans very commonly consume for example of which there are plenty that would be harmful to hamsters whether unhealthy or even outright toxic to them. Plus, I've seen a seemingly endless variety of "pet safe" products which very often have huge safety issues so just because something is marketed as pet safe doesn't mean it really is.
Thank you for sharing this with me. It is very difficult to find hamster safe things it seems. Which wood sealant do you use if you are painting a wooden enclosure?
cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote