View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 02:50 AM  
velma

Default Re: I've been back and forth from the vets for months

Hamsters are very good at hiding their pain but I think because they all have such individual personalities that you can spot if they're suffering in other ways when they're ill. Lively extrovert hams will become very withdrawn. Cuddly hams may become a bit snappy about being touched. Hamsters who love their treats may become uninterested in food. That sort of thing. I feel they let me you know when they've had enough and are ready to go. But sometimes you may need to make a decision for them if you feel they're only going to get worse. Your vet can advise you medically but you know your hamster best to know what he's telling you he needs. You love him so you'll make the right decision for him.

From my own experience. I've had to have two hamsters PTS. Most recently my boy Woody who stopped eating and drinking, and couldn't open his eyes. He became ill incredibly rapidly. The vet felt it was a neurological thing and was obviously causing him a lot of distress so that was very upsetting but straightforward as there was no alternative. The first was a harder decision to make. A few years ago I had a Syrian called Pip who developed a tumour on his shoulder. Very quickly it began to affect the movement in his front leg. I was worried he would get complications if he couldn't use his leg to empty his pouch/clean his eye etc. The vet felt it would grow very quickly and I'd have to take him back in a couple of weeks anyway. So between us we decided the kindest thing to do was to put him to sleep there and then. It was a very hard decision because he was himself and not at that point suffering and I could easily have taken him home. But it seemed the kindest thing as he was comfortable with the vet, he wasn't distressed and he wasn't in pain but I knew that if I left it until things progressed, it would have been a lot worse for him.

So my very long waffle isn't really advice, only you can ultimately make that decision. But, having been through it twice - one where there wasn't a choice, and one where there was - I just wanted to say I know it's a hard thing to do but you'll know in yourself what is right and do the right thing either way because you love him.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote