View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 10:28 AM  
MaryRobinson
Hamster Pup

Arrow Percy's unknown skin lesion

Seems only yesterday I was posting on here about Percy's baby habits... Now he's 1 yr 10 months and a senior ham!

I'm a bit concerned as just over a week ago, I spotted a small round scab under his chin as he had a drink. It looked like an injury - very odd as there's nothing sharp in his detolf but I sanded and checked every inch to make sure there's nothing sharp; the only thing I could find was the corner of his granite roof which I smoothed off more. The scab is about 4mm round and dry, no pus or blood. He's a wriggler but I can't feel a lump under it - just scabby. He's perfectly well, runs like the clappers all night, still stuffs that cheek full and I haven't seen him scratch it at all. There's only that one scab.

One and a half weeks later, it's still there - no bigger; possibly a tiny bit smaller (is that wishful thinking?!). But I'm really worried as our last-but-1 ham had skin cancer (she was a P@H rescue so no surprise..) Percy is a pedigree ham so I'm hoping it's not that same thing - it hasn't changed in a week like Dora's did.

Terrible thing is...we just booked a holiday. I was worried about leaving him as a senior ham but he loves my friend who is often here and she'll look after him so well. I literally found the scab the night we booked our holiday!! But now I'm worried he'll deteriorate when we are away. Do you think I should ask our vet for metacam for him if the scab doesn't disappear in another week? Should I take him to the vet before we go? Obviously I will if it changes but for now, I'm in limbo and I feel so guilty that we will be leaving the little guy for a week...
MaryRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote