View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 01:25 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: How to tame a robo hamster?

I just had a look at your bin cage on the "Let's see your cages" thread. I like the way you've recycled parts of an old cage to make the window and lid for your bin cage.

Your Robo needs a sandbath and they like it partly covered. I used a too small wheel with a bendy bridge shelter (cardboard cut to required size works well) for my foster Robo's cage because i also like to recycle.

My Robo foster cage is the same size as your bin cage at 70cmx45cm.
I'd clutter your bin cage up a bit more with more places for your Robo to go so she feels more secure when out of her nest. They like to have plenty of hides. You can use things like flower pots, cheap ceramic oil burners, mugs, cardboard boxes, coconut shells etc.

Taming a Robo can be difficult and they may not be as sociable as a Syrian for example. It also depends on their personality. I tame outside of their cage and sit in a secure area then do hand to hand exercises so they get used to my smell and touch. I keep the sessions short at first.

I'd let your Robo settle into her bin cage first and add more enrichment before taming sessions. Some Robos prefer to be left on their own and don't like out of cage time. I had one who would squeak when i took him out and get quite stressed so i accepted that and only took him out for a quick health check now and again.

My current Robo has a different personality so taming is going well for Robo standards.

Here's a photo of my foster cage which is only a temporary set up. The two hides and long bridge at the front you can't see but she uses them all. They like the millet sprays you can get for birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220404_152722.jpg (411.4 KB, 8 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote