Thread: New Syrian
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 06:14 AM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: New Syrian

Thank you for all of that. It's very helpful as it's an adjustment getting used to setting up cages for a different species. I remember when I got Bramble (my first Russian dwarf) I had to change lots of things in her cage, but then when I got Athena I set her cage up once and then barely changed it because I had worked out what works for a Russian dwarf and what doesn't! It's useful to hear from someone who knows.

The shelf came with a long ramp but I didn't really like it partly because it's so big and also because it doesn't attach to the shelf, it only hooks over it and it didn't seem very stable. But I think you're right that it needs something there so he doesn't try to jump down. I think I will try to get a large cork tunnel that can go under the shelf and act as a gentle slope down from it. If that doesn't work I could use the ramp.

Yes, I wasn't sure about the sputnik but came across it when I was raiding my storage cupboard for Syrian-sized things. I think I have some rat size ones in there somewhere.

I added some hooks to the side of the bendy bridge to stabilise it more but perhaps a tube would better as it's more enclosed. He is a small and light Syrian. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so and decide what to do.

I know what you mean about the leg weakness. I found a clip in the camera footage where he was eating that hanging nibble stick thing that he had in the first clip I posted, and it swung back and knocked him over onto his back. He took a while to get back up again. So I don't think I will use any hanging toys for him.

The outhouse trick worked because he has now moved into his big house. I think I will leave the little hut in for a few more days and then remove it.

I am very pleased with this new Grosvenor cage. The door isn't as big as the Hamster Heaven door, but the cage is slightly taller so it's easier to fit a 28cm wheel plus deep bedding. The base also slopes much less than the Hamster Heaven base, which makes it easier to place houses etc and you can attach a 28cm wheel to the bars. So I think it's an ideal cage for a elderly Syrian (or perhaps even a very young and skittish one) and good for dwarfs too. The accessories aside from the shelf are all a bit rubbish - tiny wheel, massive food bowl, flimsy plastic house - but the cage itself is good.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote