Thread: New Syrian
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 05:42 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New Syrian

Congratulations. He's lovely. Glad he's in the new cage as it's a good size for him in older age when they can need more floor space when too old for levels to be safe.

Maybe give him a couple of weeks and see how he manages and then tweak the odd thing. I'd be a bit concerned about easy access in a couple of areas. Eg access to the shelf (he seems to be peering off the shelf as if working out how to get down . I really like those screw in bendy bridges for that as they give a shallow stable ramp up to a shelf (screwed to the bars) but can be tricky with a large front door in case they partially obscure the door. But I've still done it with them partially obscuring the door at one side! You just screw it in top and bottom as nothing to screw to in the middle where the door opening is.

Also the sputnik height for him. Maybe a rat sputnik? Lower to get into and less far to fall if he jumps out of the other side.

Obviously you'll need to see how he goes and he may still be very active right now, but I know with ours their back leg strength can go quite suddenly by age 18 months to two and then they can have falls trying to get in or out of sputniks.

The long bendy bridge at the back maybe a bit unstable for him as well? Hard to see on the pics!

Good idea to leave his old house in for now. I'd be tempted to whip it out after a week whether he's moved into the new one or now - and move any nest contents and hoard into the new one so he just moves in and it still smells familiar.

And thank you for linking that cage! I didn't know about it. It's a good option.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote