View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 08:32 AM  
heidii
Hamster Pup

Default IKEA Detolf

Almost a month ago, I made an IKEA Platsa cage that measures 120cmx60cm, giving just over 1100 square inches of floorspace. My baby Syrian boy, Neptr, seems okay in it for now, but I am a little worried about getting a detolf instead, in case he hates it.

I am still decorating and therefore the PLATSA was the best I could do at the time. Now I am looking at possibly getting a MALM chest of drawers, which would mean I'd be able to get a detolf.

I'm not set on detolfs - their quite thin but it would fit the MALM quite well. The MALM is 163cm long by 48cm in width. Some issues I think I might have include the little wooden nobbly bits at the top and bottom of the Detolf. You're meant to put the detolf on a dresser larger than 160cm because of this, but the MALM only exceeds it by 3cm. It could possibly work, and if not I'd have to put something in the gap to prevent it from bowing.

-
Another thing, is it possible to combine them? I've seen it done to make the detolf wider, by combining two together and sealing it, but what about combining them lenth ways, making an enclosure just over 300cm long?

And what lid options do I have? I've seen some done, but I'm not massive on the way they look.

Last edited by heidii; 03-31-2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: changed title/topic i suppose
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote