View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 10:15 PM  
PhoenixEcho
Newborn Pup

Default New Syrian doesn't want to calm down

Recently, I came to adopt a hamster that I've named Jaeger. He didn't come from a good situation, so it's taken time for him to somewhat settle and get used to me. So far we're at the point where I can stroke him but not to where I can pick him up without gloves. As he'll still bite if I try, even if it's just to clean his cage.

Unfortunately, that's proven to be just the start of my problems with Jaeger. Unlike my previous and current hamsters, nothing seems to make him happy. He gets fed once a day, same as the others, and is given treats in the evening. However he's been throwing tantrums and knocking the bowl over when it's empty. I know that he wants more food but I also know that he's been storing it. So I don't put in anymore until feeding time the next day.

On top of that, Jaeger has constant cage rage. He still keeps gnawing at the cage bars despite all the toys and his wheel. And while the cage isn't overcrowded, I can say that he's got a ton to play with. Same as the others. Chew sticks, barbell, a see-saw, timothy hay chews, even a swing until he ate it. Plus he's got a good sized wheel in his habitat. Which, while it's not a fish tank, is still a decent size.

Jaeger also gets roaming time in his hamster ball. Something I know he enjoys. As he'll start zooming around the house as soon as I put him in it. And then he gets mad when he has to go back home.

After saying all this, I guess my question is: With all that I've done, what can I do to help this guy settle down? I'm completely stumped as none of my hamsters have ever been this feisty or aggravated. So if anyone has an idea or advice, please help!
PhoenixEcho is offline   Reply With Quote