View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 04:42 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: My Roborovski Dwarf Hamster prefers less space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
It is possible that a hamster simply prefers a smaller habitat. I once housed a dwarf in a very long cage but i could tell by his behaviour that he wasn't happy. He'd duck and dive from one hide to another while rushing to a favoured wheel. I then moved him to a smaller habitat and he relaxed, probably because all his favourite things were within easy reach.

Personally, i don't think that bigger is always better. A lot depends on the individual hamster and i always go with what the hamster feels comfortable with.

I don't actually know the dimensions in cm of a 10 or 20 gallon tank.

As for hamster balls. I have used them as a safe means of transport but found that hamsters become quite agitated and panicky when trapped inside one. I believe they run because they're trying to get out and rolling around in a ball is a very stressful experience for them. Not something i'd ever subject a hamster to.

Agree that some prefer slightly smaller habitats but 10 gallon is very small. Agree about balls as well. I do occasionally use a specific rat ball for a syrian but very rarely.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote