View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 01:12 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: vet wants to extract hamster tooth, advice please!

Poor thing. It sounds a bit like human dentists - they don't like extracting when there's infection so give antibiotics first. After the antibiotics I would get it extracted - and ask about getting both extracted, She'll do fine with baby food and softened hamster mix. It can't be nice for her having to have the burring regularly. Is it the top teeth you're talking about? Our last but one Syrian, when older, actually lost a couple of teeth (the bottom ones) - I never found them. So he was on soft food after that.

Best option is baby food in a little dish - maybe a heaped teaspoonful. Regular hamster mix in the food bowl plus a bit of softened hamster mix in another little dish. Because they still like to pouch and hoard the regular unsoftened mix even if they can't eat it - eg like to keep their normal behaviours. You could also put out a pinch of hemp seeds daily on another little dish - they just lick those up and they're chock full of minerals and vitamins - to make sure they're getting enough.

I use the baby food lids as extra little dishes for the baby food, softened food and seeds.

For the softened food you could get some science selective, which is an all in one food - not good as a main mix as variety is better, but for a softened mix it's good as you know they're getting all the nutrients - and they like it - it kind of smells of gravy.

If it's a top long tooth I can't see how she can manage with just one remaining if the other is extracted and it's likely to break. Having them both extracted means she can grow older without all the vet visits for burring and enjoy the softened food and extras.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote