Thread: Hamster sitting
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I've actually made a business out of small animal boarding. Most of my guests are hamsters. I've been doing it for just over two years now. It is a viable option for making a little extra income, if you're willing to do all the advertising, running of a website, insurance and so on, but it depends how much space you have. You do need some savings to begin with as a buffer in case of vet bills and other unforeseen circumstances. If an animal needs vet care while staying with you, the vet will expect you to pay upfront, and then have the owner repay you. I also always have at least one spare cage and things to go in it because you never know when a hamster is going to chew out of its cage, arrive in a dangerously insecure cage, and so on. Also it can take a while to get started. When I first started and didn't have any reviews I had to keep my prices quite low, and once the positive reviews starting coming in I was able to put them up and start making actual profit.

The small cages etc can be upsetting, and depressing. I do feel that there is a difference between opinion and fact when it comes to hamster care, and as Ria P alluded to, I am paid to provide a service, not to give out my opinions. A lot of Syrians nowadays come in PaH XLs, Duna Fun Larges, Grosvenors etc. and I feel that these cages are at least humane. I think I would prefer to keep them in something a bit bigger but that's my opinion and not a fact. A lot of hamsters can run with a straight back even on a wheel that's a bit smaller than the recommended size for their species. I think that a bigger wheel is probably more comfortable for them, but again, that's my opinion, and not a fact. I restrict the unsolicited advice to things that are objectively likely to harm the hamster or cause them to suffer, such as wheels that make their backs bend, fluffy bedding, tiny cages etc. That said, a lot of owners actually ask for my opinion and then I'm very happy to give it.

Fortunately the majority of my customers nowadays actually have reasonably good care. I think this is largely because people who are willing to pay to put their hamsters in boarding are likely to be more interested in its welfare than average.

I am very fond of many the animals I have looked after, and I have a few favourites, but I don't find I get very attached to them. This is probably because I know they're going home at some point so I don't allow myself to get attached. It might come down to your personality though.
That sounds great. So it is a possibility to earn some money but could turn into a business and need space. Reassuring that most people have decent sized cages and not teeny tiny things.

I second pringles tubes as tunnels - they're an ideal size. Although depends if you eat pringles - they're not cheap either!

There are various things you could make cheaply but I can understand if you want to save and buy something like a solid permanent shelf.

But have a look at the 10 toilet roll tubes video. There are some good ideas on there - I particularly like the hammock Not a shelf but a sort of hanging shelf. You'd need a ball of sisal string for some of those. I actually have quite a large ball so I could send you half of it if you want.

Also if you make a shoebox house, that doubles up as a shelf.

Assume you type? How about temping doing secretarial work? That can pay reasonably well. I know some typists used to get paid for typing peoples dissertations as well - a good fee per dissertation - maybe you could advertise your services in the University.

10 Toilet Roll Toys For Small Pets - YouTube
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote