View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 09:48 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: What I've got so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganLouise View Post
Hi everyone, I'm going to be getting my hamster hopefully sometime next week. I'm hoping to get a dwarf hamster! I just thought that I would make a small list of what I've got so far and use this as a chance to ask some questions, since I haven't owned a hamster in a long time I'm sure the standard for care has probably changed a fair bit haha.
The cage I'm going for is a bin cage the Wham 133l crystal box Ive ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet so I'm praying that it doesn't arrived cracked!
Some of the items ive purchesed so far
Food bowl, watter bottle
Flying saucer wheel
2x bendy bridge
Multiple different types of tunnels and hides
Chew toys and boredom breakers.
Cardboard boxes
Toilet roll / kitchen roll tubes
A platform and a bendy bridge ladder
Sand bath
Pet carrier
Pet safe disinfectant
Wire mesh and zip ties for the lid of the cage

I really want to add a sand bath I'm considering this one from argos Buy Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag | Play sand | Argos I was wondering if any one here has used it and if they recomend it? I know with play sand people recomend you bake it before using it.
I was also hoping that someone could recomend me some bedding available in the uk I've tried to do research on my own but theres a lot of conflicting information out there about hamster bedding and I honestly don't have a clue what one is the best to use. Also any other toy recomendations are very much welcome Thank you!
As Ria said, an upright wheel is better No harm in having a flying saucer as well if it will fit in the cage - or you can use it in a playpen for out of cage time. If it's for a syrian it needs to be a 30 cm saucer though. For a dwarf the 6 to 7" saucer is fine.

The childrens play sand looks fine - I think that's the one souffle uses. But I believe it needs baking to sterilise it. I get this one from Zooplus - it's quite a big bag and lasts ages and not too expensive.

JR Farm Chinchilla-Sand Special | zooplus.co.uk

Do you have a house/nesting box? That is one thing that really helps them have natural behaviours and settle - a house that's big enough and dark inside.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote