View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 10:32 PM  
BuddyBearHam
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Bin cage for a Syrian hamster~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Their personalities can vary hugely. We've had a very gregarious male and a couple of very chilled males. Females can have a reputation for being maverick and needing a lot of space but their personalities vary too . Your bin set up sounds nice. You can see how your hamster goes on for a few weeks and if they settle or seem to need more space.

I would suggest you have a large house/nesting box in there that's dark inside - they like that. A shoebox house is ideal. You cut the base out of a shoebox and use the lid as a lift off roof. Cut a hole for a door at the end of one of the long sides. The other end will be darkest. It means they can build a huge nest in a dark hide and bury their hoards under their nest, which keeps them happy. If the house is large enough you can also put a corner litter tray at the end opposite the door (away from the darker area where they usually build their nest) and they will almost certainly use it.

Also if it's a female adding cardboard items tends to keep them happy - like an egg box or toilet roll tubes (slit them down the sides so they expand). Females sometimes like ripping up cardboard!

The multichamber hideout that I made is pretty big. About the size of a shoebox, just shorter. It had a entrance hole of 3inches in diameter in one end of it. Will that work as a dark hideout?
I have a bunch of cardboard tubes because I tend to stockpile them for my hamster so I will definitely add some of those into the enclosure.
BuddyBearHam is offline   Reply With Quote