View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 04:44 PM  
PCpopcorn
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Bin cage for a Syrian hamster~

We have raised three female Syrian hamsters in our family, and we love them all. I have read online too, that female Syrians are "difficult", and some even say they are not friendly to people, which cannot be further from the truth. The hamsters react to you as well, so if you come with doubt, they will give you the same response, so I hope this will not be the case for your future little girl.

From our experience, female hamsters are very spirited and has a unique personality. Ours were all different too, one was very tidy and would keep her nest spotless, while the other had a messy nest. One only used the corner potty while the other one pottied everywhere.

But what we noticed is that they are not the type that will just let you treat them as toys. They are very alert and aware of their surroundings. They are very smart, and can solve puzzles (like one made with toilet paper roll with a snack hidden inside) and mazes really quickly.

Our cousins have a male Syrian hamster, and compared to ours, their hamster seem very dull. You might call him easy going. But my cousins also said he doesn't have personality. He would sit still and not really move and would let anyone hold him.

I guess there is a hamster for everyone, if you give your hamster love, he or she will return the same love to you.

For cage ideas, we also have a bin cage that we made, and added a wired top and also side panel. We made all the furniture from wooden sticks and craft supplies. We had under-ground tunnels covered with shavings, and that was a go-to for her when she was very young. She loves puzzles that require time for her to figure out how to open. We have an external sand pit for her as well that is a little deeper, and she could stay in there for a long time just digging sand from every corner.

Oh, and one more thing, our hamsters never once bit us. They are very gentle creatures. Good luck with your new addition!
PCpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote