View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 02:46 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Colored tissue paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeriax View Post
was that her naturalistic setup in the Billy XL? Wasnt it ordinary potting soil?

anyways I thought to myself watching that video that it looked awfully moist, but so much have changed since I kept hamsters last that I felt I could not judge without looking into it. And since I wont use soil myself I didnt bother doing more research on it xD
Potting soil etc is extremely unsafe for hamsters due to risk of fungal growth & mold, the way it holds way too much moisture, etc. In my honest opinion using the pelleted litter isn't worth doing, and they almost all have baking soda added which is best avoided with bedding and litter. Even without baking soda added they can still have other odor control ingredients added(zeolite etc - also unsafe), though I have seen Small Pet Select wood pellets which would be a good choice if you really wanted to bother with a pelleted option in the bottom of the cage. It's not necessary though and you could spend the extra money on much better things!

ErinsAnimals does have some good ideas at times, but take everything with a grain of salt from any youtuber etc - even if they're popular they can absolutely make mistakes or do unsafe things, questionable things, etc!
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote