View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 09:25 PM  
Grinewin
Newborn Pup

Question The Last Months With An Elderly Hamster

Hi all! I last came here for advice about my syrian hamster Bertha's broken tooth last month and I'm happy to report the broken tooth is growing and the vet reassured me that all of her other teeth are in alignment so all should be well in that regard.

She does seem to officially capital "O" Old now (slowing down, bonier than she used to be, showing signs of kidney failure, etc.) so I wanted to get some guidance and information from those of you who have experience with older hamsters / the process of the last months of their lives. Bonus points if you have experience with the disease progression of renal failure; we're not 100% sure that's what's going on with her, but between renal failure, renal cancer, and diabetes (the vet's best guesses), the first one seems most likely for a three-ish year old syrian hamster. I don't expect to have her with me by the end of the year but it's hard to find a hamster specific prognosis so who knows, really.

Mostly, I'd just like to know what to expect. I know none of you can tell me how long she'll live or what the end will be like for her specifically, but I'm very much the sort of person who likes to research everything, so I want to mine this community for all the info I can
Grinewin is offline   Reply With Quote