View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 12:25 AM  
Peanui
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help regarding hamster supplements (Oxbow Joint and Urinary support) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I imagine it's the cranberry and possibly the dandelion root that's supposed to help with urinary health. Cranberry can help to prevent bacteria attaching to the bladder wall and dandelion is a diuretic.

I used dandelion root and cranberry when one of my gerbils had some urinary issues (crystals/sludge and blood in her urine, pain when passing urine) last year, in conjunction with prescribed antibiotics and pain relievers, and had some success.

I agree that I would look into glucosamine more closely more giving them. I think supplements can be useful in some cases but need to be used carefully. They are essentially medicines albeit naturally derived ones, and have risks and side effects as well as potential benefits.
Thank you so much for your suggestions as well. I ordered some dried cranberries from Oxbow as well. Where I live, I don't find fresh cranberries. I do give dandelion roots as chews for my hamster. But, should I make a paste and feed it to him? My baby was on an anti-inflammatory (meloxicam) while he was recovering from his broken bone, which is now looking much better. He still has the UTI issue and I am giving him antibiotics as prescribed by his vet. However, fortunately, the plugs that came out from his urinary tract aren't stones, as tested by his doctor.

I couldn't find any links where side effects of glucosamine were listed, for hamsters. Thus, I wrote to the company again to seek clarification. I will await their response before giving it to him. I will run by both of you once more as to what they have to say.

Many thanks for the care.
Peanui is offline   Reply With Quote